Script

Only with your donations am I able to continue this blog. Please
consider donating.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Odd Stories: State Representative Wants to Bring Back Public Hangings



Raleigh - Claiming he was “tired, angry, and upset” about an inmate's letter to a newspaper a North Carolina state representative said he accidentally sent an email, calling for the reinstatement of public hangings and meant for another member of congress, to the entire general assembly.

Republican Larry Pittman's email stated "We need to make the death penalty a real deterrent again by actually carrying it out. Every appeal that can be made should have to be made at one time, not in a serial manner. If murderers (and I would include abortionists, rapists, and kidnappers, as well) are actually executed, it will at least have the deterrent effect upon them. For my money, we should go back to public hangings, which would be more of a deterrent to others, as well."

The email was a response to a letter death row prisoner Danny Robbie Hembree Jr., in prison after he suffocated a teenager in 2009, sent to the Gaston Gazette. Hemree wrote about how jail isn't that bad and he's “a gentleman of leisure.” He included a statement in which he said the judicial system is likely to keep him alive for decades.

When contacted about it by WRAL he affirmed he wrote and sent the email but "I was filled with anger, disgust, and frustration, as well as a profound sense of grief for the family of the young woman he killed. I felt a need to vent some of these feelings and intended to do so to him alone. In the process, I got a bit carried away and overstated my case. I am sure I am not the only one who has ever done that."



No comments:

Post a Comment