Script

Only with your donations am I able to continue this blog. Please
consider donating.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Commentary: State Immigration Laws Don't Work

This article on MSNBC, while asking a very good question, blatantly misses a bigger problem.

For a long time I've been talking and debating immigration issues with friends, family, and stranger.  During that time I find most people are for kicking out illegal immigrants.  To be clear I'm not for kicking them out at all.  In fact I think there should be some kind of amnesty (the dreaded "A" word most people avoid) for those who serve or want to serve in the military, those who went/go to college, or have proof they've paid into the system in some way (say receipts for rent or bills slips) for a certain amount of time (for the sake of argument five years).  A lot of the time people don't agree with me, saying they broke the law (ironically I know for a FACT these same people have broken the law in some way as I've witnessed them do it). Most of the time I come back with "What about the jobs they leave?" These questions are answered with one of two answers:

  • "Americans will do them" - Many times I get this one and I tend to say something like "I admit I wouldn't do the jobs and most Americans wouldn't." The reason I say this is because I not only wouldn't want it, but to be more exact I have a horrible series of allergies.  Other people wouldn't do it because it doesn't pay enough, as the MSNBC article demonstrates, it's not what they want to do, it's too hard for them, etc.  Every once in a while I get someone saying they would do it and I tell them to go to Take Our Jobs and prove me wrong.  I don't say it to be a smart-ass, I really want them to prove me wrong.  Sadly nobody I know has taken up the offer yet.
  • "The immigrants are taking the jobs and when we throw them out we'll have them again" - One of my "favorites." Besides the fact the laws - in place in states like Georgia, Alabama, and Arizona - were proven to be wrong, there is the fact immigrants are NOT "taking jobs" from anyone.  Rather they are taking jobs Americans don't want.  I find it hard to believe anyone, even the people picking doing the unwanted jobs, want to work there forever.  No sane person would ever want to do such a thing.  They are taking the jobs which are available because they tend to not be monitored as strictly, usually or don't have the skills necessary (I highly doubt they're coming here to get cushy Microsoft jobs for example).
 If people think "kicking out the illegals" is the right idea then they have to think about what will happen.  Sadly in this country nobody does and as a result we've kicked them out of several states but the jobs are not being filled by anyone.  As a result Georgia for example has had fruit and vegetables falling off and rotting at an insane rate earlier this year.  Mexican people (lets be honest they're just going after Mexicans and those who "look like them", not whites or blacks), even ones who are here legally, are leaving all they know, taking their kids out of school, and going elsewhere.  The local farmers and economy suffer, people suffer through their pocketbooks, and nothing good comes from the event.

So what would be a better solution? Lets start with the  businesses, which is a bigger problem than the border.  You cannot blame the people for trying to get a job so they can get a better life for themselves, but you can blame the companies hiring them.  Fine them, heavily, when you catch them.  With the new jobs have more pay or provide better benefits for the workers.  There's a saying that you don't be mean to the people who make your food.  You should also give them some of the best care possible.  Failure to do so will increase the likelihood someone will end up infecting food, getting a piece of their body cut off, or dying at the job.  With a good security net beneath them they are able to get the care they need or have extra money for desires/necessities.  Combined with the amnesty deal I mentioned earlier you are sure to have a stable and happier workforce as well as have a group of people who come to the United States get security while contributing to society like everyone else.  I know the issue isn't a cut-and-dry one but surely it is better than our record-number deportation rate and empty jobs waiting to be filled.

Keep in mind this not not what I would want but my idea would probably make a lot of Americans run away screaming so I'll keep it to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment